To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, not at the current time due to dry conditions in our county.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.

Pool & Parks

The forecast calls for rain, will the pool be open?

Check our Pool Facebook Page for updates on closures and special events.

Do I need to make a reservation to camp at the Pawnee Pawnderosa (City Pond)?

A reservation is required to make sure you get the spot you want. Spaces are limited and fill up fast on popular weekends. Reservations can be made by calling our office - 402-852-2781.

If I just want to fish at the pond for the day, do I need to pay camping fees?

No, day use at the pond is free and open to all.

Building Permits & Inspections

I want to put in new windows or doors, do I need a building permit?

No, if the windows and door frames already existed and you are replacing them, you do not need a building permit.

I'm going to move a shed/house/other structure to a different location, do I need a building permit?

Yes. Any time you move an existing structure you much follow the procedures for obtaining a building permit.

I'm redoing my roof, do I need a building permit for that?

It depends. If the size and pitch will be the same as the old roof, you do not need a building permit. If you are changing the size or pitch of the roof, from a flat to a gable roof for example, you WILL need a building permit.

I want to add a deck, do I need a building permit?

Yes, you need a building permit anytime you are adding anything new outside.

I want to do carpentry work inside my house, do I need a building permit?

No, you do not need a building permit for work done inside your house.

I need to replace concrete, do I need a building permit?

No, so long as the concrete will be in the same size and in the same location. If you are pouring a NEW driveway, sidewalk or patio where there was none before you DO need a building permit.

I'm building an addition to my existing shed, house or other structure, do I need a building permit?

Yes, building anything new, including an addition to existing structure requires a building permit.


Do you have a public library?

Yes, we do! You can find information about the Pawnee City Public Library at http://www.pawneecitylibrary.com/

What hours is City Hall open?

We're open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.